Goods were always packaged in plastic or semi-solid packaging material, but with the increase in types of portable goods, the packaging system had to undergo huge changes. With a rise in online delivery services and consciousness of the environment, brands are shifting towards long-lasting and biodegradable materials for packaging. This is where bottles and jars come in handy. Dive into the article to know more!
What Are Packaged Goods
Packaged goods are any goods that are packaged in closed containers for safety of transport and hygiene. Things that are stored in jars come under this category. These goods can be anything from fruits, vegetables, sauces, beverages, spices, wine, pickles, fish, shampoo, soap, dishwash, gardening chemicals, etc. These goods are packaged to keep them away from moisture and to keep them hygienic. Bottles and jars are also very suitable for storage and are better than plastic containers. One may argue that glass jars are costlier and hold an increased risk of breakage than plastic. But, glass containers are a better choice for the environment. Jarred packaging is taking over the food industry at a fast pace. This seems like a welcome change.
Why Use Bottles And Jars To Package Goods?
The popularity of bottled and jarred goods has surely experienced an increase. Let us look into a few reasons for this boost.
When purchasing food online customers always look for packaging that can be stored. The type of packaging used affects the shelf life of the product. Packaged goods are hygienic and healthier than unpackaged ones. They also have product descriptions that help people stay away from possible allergies.
Easy to carry
Bottled and jarred goods give you enough security about spillage. These are perfect for liquids that need to be carried and saved from spillage. If the food inside the bottle is unfinished, the individual can carry it back to finish it later
Importance of brands
Packaged goods have their brand names shown on them. Some people prefer to consume a few specific brands. Some brands have patented bottle designs that make it easier to choose and locate.
Bottled goods have a description label stuck on them. The consumer can check each ingredient, their calories, and the energy they provide from them. This helps people with allergies and people who are on calorie deficit diet plans. The label holds information about the manufacturing and expiry dates.
Safety and security
Bottled and jarred goods are sold in canisters that are sealed shut. This keeps the food inside away from bacteria and viruses. The chances of food poisoning are greatly reduced because of this.
Types Of Bottles And Jars Used For Packaging
Bottles and jars come in varieties of types and materials. Let us take a look at a few of them.
- Plastic bottles are the most common packaging material that is used. It is cheap but is full of disadvantages. Plastic is highly malleable and does not save the shape of the product inside. It is dangerous for the environment as well.
- Wood containers are the traditional way of packaging and storing. They are durable, reusable, and aesthetic. However, woods are highly expensive and not suitable for bulk usage.
- Aluminum containers are very widespread. They are cheap, reusable, and work as good insulators as well. But they are reactive to acids, even if they are mild.
- Glass containers are the most widely used packaging items. They are biodegradable, cheap, user-friendly, and non-reactive. They are fragile but all the other advantages make them the most desired material.
- Paperboard containers are a new way of being eco-friendly. These are made from thick paper which is light and recyclable. But they change shape easily.
Advantages Of Bottles And Jarred Goods
Bottled and jarred goods have surely swayed the population from using plastic as their main material. This is due to their many advantages.
- The most important advantage is hygiene. Glass containers are hygienic and nonharmful. Any other material ensures that the product inside it will remain hygienic and safe for consumption.
- Bottled and jarred goods have a long storage life. They allow the consumer to use the amount of product needed and store the rest securely.
- Bottles packaging helps in increasing the shelf life of the products. Once sealed shut it doesn’t let any moisture of outward particles make contact with the product inside.
- Bottled goods are environmentally friendly and cost-effective.
- Jarred products are easier to transport and they are reusable as well.
Disadvantages Of Bottled And Jarred Goods
Everything comes with its own set of disadvantages, but if the advantages are more it is better to use the product. However, let us take a look at the few disadvantages of bottled and jarred goods.
- A few of the materials used for packaging are brittle and easily bendable. Even if they are eco-friendly and reusable, this can prove to be an issue.
- Most of the packaging materials used for bottled and jarred goods are expensive. This increases the overall cost of the product.
- Bottles and jars also contribute a huge amount to the pollution that is taking over the Earth.
Are Bottles And Jars Suitable For Online Shipping
Whether bottled and jarred goods are suitable for online shopping can be a big debate after knowing the pros and cons. Honestly, it depends on the type of goods. If the goods are fragile, it is best to not use bottled packaging and rather use highly durable packaging. In case of using bottles and jars for selling goods online, it is important to have a safety certificate.
Why are People Shifting To Bottles And Jars
People are shifting to bottled and jarred goods for a good number of reasons. Some of them are listed below.
- Bottled goods do not release toxins into the products as long as the material is good.
- The materials are renewable substances and eco-friendly.
- Most of the materials are microwaveable.
- The food stays safe for a long time.
- The food is kept in sealed containers.
In conclusion, bottled and jarred goods are a better choice for the environment and the consumer as well.